Don’t let the fear of spoiling your kiddos’ Halloween stop you from looking at alternatives to sugary treats and candies.
It’s easier to opt for healthier alternatives that are friendly for the teeth.
Even non-edible alternatives make for great replacements all kids will approve of.
There are endless options.
Great treat alternatives for Halloween your kiddos will love:
- Toys and trinkets
There are plenty of Halloween-themed toys and trinkets out there to pass out to your trick-or-treaters and guests at Halloween parties. Bouncy balls, spider rings, glow-in-the-dark squishy eyeballs, Halloween stickers & washable tattoos, and fun pencils & erasers are great ideas. Kids will appreciate that these items last longer and offer more purpose than candy.
- Roasted pumpkin seeds from carved pumpkins
Pumpkin seeds are delicious and healthy, but not sweet like candy. After you’re finished carving your pumpkins, save the seeds, wash & dry them, lightly salt them, and pop them in the oven for a good roasting.
Kids will enjoy these and will be excited for the following year when the pumpkin seed roasting once again takes place! Make it a family tradition. You may even opt to add cayenne powder, a squeeze of lemon juice, or paprika to your pumpkin seeds before roasting for extra flavor.
- Sugarless fruit leather snacks
Opt for sugarless fruit leather snacks to pass out if you don’t want to completely cut the “treat” out of trick-or-treating. Many brands of fruit leather are made with pure fruit and fruit juice, no added sugars. The sweetness of the fruit alone can give the snack kid-approval while being healthier! These tasty snacks are almost as addicting as candy.
- Lego pumpkin goodie bags
A cute, food-less alternative to a Halloween treat includes Lego-filled goodie bags. Take a goodie bag, place a handful of orange Legos, and tie it off. These bags will look like pumpkins once completed. They make for a very Halloween-friendly surprise.
- Halloween-shaped pretzels
Many stores offer Halloween-themed snacks such as pumpkin- or ghost-shaped pretzels around Halloween. These snacks often come bagged separately and make it easy to pass out to guests or trick-or-treaters. They’re yummy and more tooth-friendly than candy.
- Glow sticks
Kids love glow sticks! If you can’t find fun, Halloween-themed or colored glow sticks, glow sticks of all types are still fun for children, especially to use on Halloween night. A dollar or discount store in your area is likely to carry glow sticks for an affordable price.
Why opt for Halloween treat alternatives:
- Traditional sugary treats can cause cavities, overgrowth of oral bacteria, tooth sensitivity, and other oral-related problems in the mouth.
- Alternatives gear towards children with diabetes, braces, tooth problems, or specific allergies.
- Younger children who are not able to consume candy yet will appreciate alternative such as toys.
- Opting for alternatives is different. You’ll stand out in the crowd of those passing out candy. There’s nothing wrong with being different!
- Kids are very open to treat alternatives and are even excited when they receive a treat other than candy! It’s the highlight of their night.